Friday 4 December 2015

Week 9- Wilderness Warrior Hand in

Name: Sarah Wright
P Number: 1322992x
Email: sarah.wright7@email.dmu.ac.uk
Project Title: GP- Highly Stylized Character Project

Overview:
To create a miniature character based on the given concept for a mobile game. Use the concept as a guide and include all the key features. Textures are to be hand-painted and your model will be diffuse-only, through use of a sculpting program to accentuate the volume of diffuse shapes is completely acceptable.

The process for this included:
  • Evaluating and editing the existing concept.
  • Exploring colour pallets.
  • Sculpting a base model.
  • Retopologizing and modeling from the base sculpt.
  • unwrapping, texturing and rendering the model ready for presentation.
Concept Art:





Sculpting and Retopology:

Textures:


final texture with alpha masks
Mount textures
Sketchfab Viewer:


Beauty Shots:




Evaluation Q&A

Q: How well did I manage my time?
Looking back on my time sheet I was pretty much spot on with my management. I finished a little bit earlier than expected so I had more time to put into setting up a scene.

Q: Did my end result represent what I wanted for this project?
This project went significantly better than I expected. Since this was my first time using sculpting for a project I was not entirely sure how this would turn out, and things weren't looking great at the retopology stage. It was only when I baked down my sculpt and put on the base textures that things started to come to life and I could visualize how this model would look in the end.

Q: Strengths I found during this project:
Hand painted texturing is a strength of mine and I feel like I showed it well in this project, as well as being able to quickly evaluate and edit a concept into something new. I think it would be fun to go all out with details on this model, but as it is supposed to be made for a mobile game I can get away with the details as they are. My presentation has improved to the point that I feel my beauty shots are portfolio ready.

Q: Weaknesses I found during this project:
Retopologizing my sculpt proved difficult when it came to areas like the hands and hair. and my unwrapping needs some work in a few places like the snail shell hair and slingshot, which made texturing difficult despite using a vertex painting programme.

Q. What stressed me out the most during this project?
Retopology and hitting the tri budget took a lot more time and energy that I originally anticipated.. Most auto retopology programmes that are used to quickly lay down topology on sculpts aren't effective on such a low poly model so everything needed to be connected manually with the exception of the hands, which were retopologized in zremesher and cut down in 3ds max.

Conclusion:
Overall this project turned out great and i'm extremely happy with my results, to point where I can can see myself making a series of wilderness warriors in my spare time.

No comments:

Post a Comment